Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hoo bee doo. Jay has come down with a head/chest cold and is currently taking a nap. I feel bad for him because being sick when it's nice out sucks. I hope I don't catch it!

We haven't been up to much lately. Since we got this apartment we've mostly been sticking around Hilo. We went to Puna briefly on the weekend and have been to Mauna Kea once this week and are going up again tomorrow.

Today could be interesting however! I'm waiting around for our friend Bryan's little brother, Steve, and his girlfriend to show up. They are on the Big Island for the week and we said we'd take them to see some neat stuff on this side of the island. They have a rented Jeep which is awesome because there are a lot of cool places you can't get to without 4 wheel drive or the time to hitchhike. I think we'll head down to Kalapana this evening to check out the lava if we can.

I've been feeling homesick, nothing new. I've been away from my friends and family for too long now and I've resolved to not travel extensively for the next few years. That doesn't mean I won't be traveling just no more 4 month trips. After a few months it becomes a job to keep yourself occupied, at least for me it does. I've been spending a lot of time following the revolution in Egypt and reading novels as always but I need to be involved in real work (not necessarily a job) and community to feel fulfilled. I am happy to not be WWOOFing because of the situations we've encountered here but that was the purpose of this journey and now I just feel lost in my own little world. Disconnected.

It is lovely here and I will always be able to look back on this time and think how fortunate we are to be able to live the way we do. The anticipation of returning home is just as fun as the anticipation of leaving was. We have so much to look forward to at home and I feel like we've been collecting the ideas we need to start working on the rest of our lives. That's what I want to be doing.

Well, I am going to go try to find a project to occupy myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment